AURORA, ON, Canada – Canadian e-bike electric propulsion system manufacturer BionX International taps into the scooter market
With today’s urban congestion plaguing many large cities around the world, MINI has decided to pursue an innovative concept that provides increased flexibility for individual mobility; the MINI Citysurfer Concept scooter powered by BionX – officially presented at L.A. Auto Show – is the latest form of stylish and practical urban transportation released from the well-known British vehicle brand.
BMW and BionX have partnered before on projects like the i-pedelec folding e-bike, which was featured at the 2012 London Olympic Games. BionX and its team is no stranger to working with automotive partners on alternative forms of transportation.
Although BionX is known as a leader for its e-bike powertrain systems, the company has kept an eye on the scooter industry for some time now, so when this unique product was proposed by MINI and its parent company BMW earlier this year, it was something that the Canadian firm could not pass up. “It actually fits quite nicely into the e-bike space, since we already manufacture systems for folding e-bikes. We were excited and honored when BMW asked us to participate,” said Paul Gingl, VP of Business Development for BionX.
The MINI Citysurfer Concept Scooter powered by BionX offers:
- Wide range of potential uses due to compact structure, foldability and low weight of just 18 kilograms (40 lbs.); MINI Citysurfer Concept suitable both for use on its own and in combination with other means of transportation; easy to transport, for example in the luggage compartment of the new MINI 3 door or on buses and trains; supplement for covering the distance between car park, rail or bus station and final destination.
- Electric drive with thumb-operated accelerator and gearless noise and vibration free BionX hub motor in the rear wheel; electric motor power permits top speed of 25 km/h (15 mph); electric drive of the MINI Citysurfer Concept is not activated until a minimum speed is reached from the rider’s own physical thrust; motor is deactivated by means of a brake lever.
- BionX Lithium-ion battery permanently installed in the frame; charging via 12-volt automobile socket or household socket; charging during travel by means of brake energy regeneration when brake is activated; battery management system with integrated power electronics; electric range: 15 to 25 kilometers (10 – 15 miles)
- Safe, versatile and agile riding properties, large wheels with pneumatic tires also make it suitable for bumpy paths, low foot board, stable frame and height-adjustable handlebars; hydraulic disc brakes at the front and rear wheel; excellent deceleration and agile handling since there are no limits to the rider in shifting the centre of gravity; good all-round view and visibility to other road users due to upright riding position; folding concept with safety function for correct engagement when unfolding.
- Mobile phone holder and charge connector on the handle bars; use of Last Mile Navigation possible in conjunction with the MINI Connected XL Journey Mate.
- Vehicle concept covers the entire range of individual urban mobility: commuting to work and school, sight-seeing and shopping, tourist excursions when on motor home, camping or boat holidays; spontaneous riding fun typical of MINI derives from the interaction between rider and electric motor when generating propulsion.
Headquartered in Aurora, Ontario, Canada, BionX International Corporation develops and produces electric propulsion systems for intelligent, sustainable mobility. BionX stands for technological know-how, forward-looking technologies as well as reliable products and service. BionX propulsion systems are the perfect solution for the global increasing demand for clean and efficient mobility. Among the international OEM partners for customized solutions powered by BionX™, are renowned manufacturers from the bicycle as well as the automotive industries, such as Trek, Diamant/Villiger, BMW, SMART, WHEELER and KTM.
To learn more about BionX products and service, please visit www.ridebionx.com or use the press contacts below.
Former Press Release can also be found on http://inmotionmar.com/en/media-center/bionx/
|Press contact EU:
85540 Haar / Germany
|Press contact NA:
BionX International Corporation
455 Magna Dr.
Aurora, ON. , L4G7A9 Canada